H.R.H. PRINCE KHALIFA BIN SALMAN AL KHALIFA
H.R.H. Prince Khalifa bin Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa has served as the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Bahrain since its independence in 1971. He is the second son of the former ruler of Bahrain Shaikh Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa and the uncle of His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa.
H.R.H. was born on Sunday, 24th of November 1935 and grew up in the care of his father, H.H. Shaikh Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, ruler of Bahrain from 1942 to 1961. Ever since he was a child, his father instilled in him a strong sense of responsibility by assigning him to learn the Qur’an under the guidance of one of Bahrain’s most eminent scholars. Upon becoming 7 years of age, his father instructed that he and his brother attend his father’s court in which he met with Bahrain’s citizens to learn about their problems and concerns, and closely understand the manner by which his father ran the country’s affairs.
Before beginning his formal education in a government school, H.R.H. started his formal education and was assigned one of the most capable teachers of the time by his father. As a young man, he traveled intermittently to England to study from 1957 to 1959.
- Assistant in his father’s ruling court (March 1953)
- Member of the Rental Solutions Committee (September 1954)
- Member of the Educational Board (March 1956)
- President of the Educational Board (January 1957)
- Member of the Electricity Committee (December 1957)
- Member of the committee assigned to look into government employee affairs (November 1958)
- Acting Secretary of the Government of Bahrain (August 1958)
- President of government Finance (November 1960)
- President of Irrigation Council (November 1961)
- President of Manama Municipality (May 1962)
- President of Monetary Council (December 1964)
- President of Immigration and Residency Appeals Council (August 1965)
- President of Management Council (May 1966)
- President of State Council (January 1970)
Mere hours after the signing of the document ending the special treaty between Bahrain and the United Kingdom on the 15th of August, 1971, H.M. Shaikh Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa, then Ruler of Bahrain, issued a decree to reorganize the political structure of the country.
As per the decree, the Emirate of Bahrain was renamed the State of Bahrain and the Ruler of Bahrain was changed to Emir of Bahrain. Another decree followed shortly thereafter which changed the State Council to Cabinet of Ministers and the President of the State Council to Prime Minister and Members of the State Council to Ministers.
The Cabinet of Ministers worked relentlessly from day 1 on its goal of achieving its ambitions quickly to bring Bahrain up to speed with other modern nations and reach the hopes and dreams of its people.
Since then, the country has gone from one success to another, becoming a model for larger countries with bigger human and natural capital.
- Married with three children: Mohammed (deceased), Ali, and Salman
- Regularly meets with key pillars of the community and invites them to his palace in the evening to discuss various affairs
- An avid walker and reader, and possesses a great deal of interest in Bahrain’s history and culture. His hobbies also include landscaping and raising various birds and natural wildlife, as well as photography and painting.
- His court receives a large number of letters from Bahrain’s citizens requesting help in certain matters which they cannot resolve themselves. He usually forwards these letters to the proper entities or issues answers to these letters himself.
For more information, please visit the official website of the Prime Minister of Bahrain