National Action Charter - Arabic / English
Constitution – Arabic / English
- The Kingdom of Bahrain is a fully sovereign, independent Islamic Arab State whose population is part of the Arab nation.
- The system of the Kingdom of Bahrain is that of a hereditary constitutional monarchy.
- The system of government in the Kingdom of Bahrain is democratic, sovereignty being in the hands of the people, the source of all powers.
- Citizens, both men and women, are entitled to participate in public affairs and may enjoy political rights, including the right to vote and to stand for elections, in accordance with the Conditions stated in the Constitution.
Rule of Law and Independence of the Judiciary:
The Rule of Law is an aspect of the Bahrain Constitution which involves:
- Independence and immunity of the judiciary are two key guarantees for protecting rights and freedoms.
- Individual freedoms quality, justice and equal opportunity are core principles of the society.
- All citizens are equal before the law in terms of rights and duties, without distinction of race, origin, language, religion or belief.
- Personal liberty is ensured under the law. Unless according to this procedures established by the law and under judicial supervision, no person shall be arrested, detained in custody, inspected or put under house arrest, restricted residence or movement.
- No person shall in any way be subjected to any kind of physical or moral torture, inhumane, humiliating or indignant treatment.
- Punishment is individual. An accused person remains innocent until convicted in a fair trial in which all guarantees are provided with a view to ensuring to an accused person the right to defense throughout investigation and prosecution under law.
- Places of residence are inviolable. Unless authorized by its legal occupants, no place of residence shall be entered or inspected.
Freedom of Belief, Expression and Publishing:
- The state ensures freedom of belief. maintains inviolability of houses of worship and guarantees freedom to practice religious rites according to considered custom of the land.
- Every citizen shall have the right to express himself orally, in writing or in any other way of expression of personal opinion or creativity.
Under this law, freedom of scientific research, publishing, press and printing are ensured within the scope specified by law.